Here are 10 helpful tips for preventing employee issues relating to employee
use of the internet at work to access social media sites from the website of Fisher & Phillips,
LLP, Attorneys at Law.
These tips may help you to think about how to begin to craft your own
internet usage policy which could encompass areas such as social media, and
employee internet use.
1. Get familiar with Facebook, Linked In or other sites that are
popular with your employees.
2. Update current company policies.
3. Consider whether your company environment needs a specific social
4. Prohibit use of the employees company e-mail address.
5. Discourage your managers from friending their subordinate
6. Immediately get a copy of any post that is the subject of a
7. Only use social media for employment screening in a consistent
8. Warn managers to follow standard policies for recommendations on
Linked In or other professional sites.
9. Be aware of possible protected, concerted activity.